UCISA MEMBERSHIP RATING DESCRIPTIONS
- This level allows rated skippers to sail our Capri 14's within the Newport Harbor with up to 2 guests.
- There is an 18 knot wind limit for these boats.
- The Capri is our basic teaching dinghy, all necessary skills to get the rating are generally taught in our Capri 1 and Capri 2 classes.
- Rating test includes: rigging and de-rigging the boats, basic sailing on all points of sail, sailing drills and a capsize recovery.
- Capri 1 skippers may also race in UCISA sponsored Capri races and events as well as use the boats for recreational use.
- View the Capri Rating Checklist (pdf).
- View the Capri Manual (pdf).
- This is the first keelboat rating - this level allows rated J1 skippers to take the boats out in the harbor and to the bell buoy.
- Skippers may take up to 3 guests on the J22's and sail in winds up to 18 knots.
- Most of the necessary skills to get a J1 rating are generally covered in our Keelboat 1 and 2 classes in addition to participating in rating tutor days to refine skills.
- Individuals must have a current UCISA Capri rating and current paid membership to take the J1 rating test.
- Rating test includes: rigging and de-rigging the boat, successfully sailing in and out of docks, sailing “well” on all points of sail, anchoring, man overboard simulated practice, good sphere of awaress and more.
- The manual (in conjunction with practical knowledge) covers most of the material on this test.
- View the J1 Rating Checklist (pdf).
- Also review the J22 Manual (pdf).
- This rating allows rated J2 skippers to sail out of the harbor up to a 3 mile radius.
- Individual must have a current UCISA J1 rating and paid membership to get their J2 rating.
- Our keelboat 3 classes will help you prepare for this rating as well as sailing with other J2 rated skippers.
- View the J2 Rating Checklist (pdf).
- This rating allows rated J3 skippers to sail in UCI sponsored races in and outside the harbor.
- Additionally there are some yacht club sponsored races that you can race in with an J3.
- To achieve this rating, skippers have done Capri racing and have taken the J22 boat handling for racers and the tactics sailing classes.
- Active participation as a crew in racing is also good preparation.
- This rating is given as part of a check out race.
- View the J3 Rating Checklist (available soon).
- This racing rating allows rated J4 skippers to race in the "in the bay" races and usually take inexperienced club members as crew.
- This rating is based on evaluation by our racing rater and the individuals’ race course participation.
- The "in the bay" races like the "Beer can" and "Sun Downer” races are very congested and can be very demanding.
- J3 and J4 ratings are not automatic with skill completion.
- There is a level of performance under race conditions that also needs to be obtained.
- For those that want to sail with a spinnaker there is a separate rating for this.
- You will need a J2 rating first - the spinnaker certification can be added at anytime.
- The Keelboat 4 class introduces spinnakers.
- View the Spinnaker checklist - available soon!