UCI CREW BASE MAP
View Larger Map
The paddle base is located at the UCI Crew Base on Shellmaker Island. You will see a sign for "Back Bay Science Center". Your instructor will let you in the gate.
ADDITIONAL INFO FOR KAYAK/SUP PARTICIPANTS
UCI classes and paddles will meet unless there is significant rain, or severe weather conditions. The decision to cancel classes will be made 1 hour prior to class time. Call the Weather hotline and listen for updates (949) 824-5770. Please call the hotline before leaving to go to the paddle base anytime you are unsure of the weather.
Water Bottles Suggested for all Paddles
Parking at the paddle base is free. Your instructor will open the gate for you.
Please note that there are port-a-potties, but not full restroom/changing facilities at the UCI crew/paddle base.
- Use a layering system so you can add or subtract as needed
- Windproof shell is very helpful (nylon windbreakers and workout pants/board shorts work well)
- If you get cold easily add a base layer of long underwear (not cotton)
- A hat, baseball cap or knit hat, helps to conserve your body’s heat and protect from sun
- Try to avoid cotton clothing because when it gets wet it doesn’t keep you warm.
- Closed-toed shoes are required for kayaking and sailing classes. SUP participants will paddle without shoes.
- During summer months usually shorts or a swim suit and a fleece/water-resistant jacket (in case it’s windy) is usually enough
- If you have any questions about what will work best, simply bring what you have with you and your instructor can help you chose what you will need.
- It’s a good idea to bring a change of clothes and towel.
Please plan ahead.
All UCI paddle activity participants are required to have swimming ability and must sign on the UC waiver (a statement verifying that they meet the minimum standard). Swimming ability is defined as “the ability to tread water for 10 minutes, swim 50 yards and be capable of calmly handling themselves in the water.” This includes the ocean and Newport Harbor. US Coast Guard approved lifejackets (PFD’s) are provided for any UCI Kayak/SUP Program Activity.
UCI not responsible for lost or stolen items:
Your instructor will help you store car keys in our equipment shed while paddling and has access to dry bags for cameras and some small personal items that can’t get wet. However, participants should make every attempt to leave valuables at home as UCI campus recreation is not responsible for any lost or stolen items just prior to, during or just after programs.